Plusnet is a Yorkshire based ISP with a unique brand identity. It’s a fast paced environment yet our offices have a distinctly friendly and informal feel to them - we know that you can do great business without the suits. We believe in making a difference, team work and putting the customer first in everything that we do. It’s an approach that’s allowed us to keep delivering award winning products and services for nearly 20 years!
Whatever your career ambitions, Plusnet is committed to giving you the skills and support that you need in order to achieve your goals; whether it’s training and development or just a breather over a game of table tennis or pool!
Of course there’s lots of other reasons to work at Plusnet; we’ll support you through a wide range of “Plusnetter” perks including free staff broadband & phone packages, pension, bonus & shares scheme and numerous discounts on items such as cinema tickets, mobile tariffs, city parking, gym memberships and much more!
So, if you’re looking to think creatively, challenge yourself and make the decisions that matter - we’d love to hear from you!
About the job
Here at Plusnet, we’re very proud of our award winning products and services and our high level of customer support. We recognise that our people are critical to the success of our business so that’s why if you work with us we’ll give you a competitive salary, discounted gym membership, and a generous bonus structure.
So if you want to be part of a fast growing business that puts its people at the heart of what it does, please apply today.
The Customer Domain
The Customer Domain sits within the Engineering department, and looks after changes required to our CRM and portal applications. Whether it is about making updates to our fancy website or supporting complex product change back end changes, we do it all. It is a dynamic multi skill team and has a wide range of challenging learning opportunities around all areas.
Our engineers develop skills across a number of technologies as part of a self-organising agile software team which is focussed on delivering rapid business value to our product owners, both within the multi-disciplinary delivery unit as well as collaborating across the wider department with other domain specialist teams. This is a unique opportunity to work closely with key stakeholders across the business such as the Head of Business, Project Managers, Business Analysts, Domain Experts and Customer Operations teams.
As a Software Engineer you will...
- Be responsible for the development and support of software applications as required by business projects.
- Investigate and resolve problems
- Develop high quality software solutions in multi-tiered architectures
- Produce unit, acceptance and integration tests for software solutions
- Contribute to project and sprint planning, including sizing, prioritisation and capacity plans
- Follow and pro-actively inspect Plusnet processes and standards
- Continuously improve quality of products
- Inspect and review your own work and that of team members
- Proactively share the things you learn within your team
- Keep up to date with the latest developments in Software Engineering
- Apply industry standard best practices to drive continuous improvement
- Be responsible for reviewing and approving requirements
- Be proactive with reporting of any possible issues or delays
- Might be asked to support out of hours rollout and on-call activities
To be able to succeed in this role, you must have the following skills and experience…
- Be technically fluent in PHP and / or Java
- Experience of Test Driven Development and Agile Development processes
- Proven experience in development and implementation of software solutions
- Proven experience in source control systems
- Hands-on experience with automated software and system management tools
- Strong knowledge of system and software quality assurance best practices and methodologies
- Knowledge of database design and file management techniques
- Good project management skills and/or substantial exposure to project-based work structures
- Fluent in technical documentation and speaking to technical and non-technical audiences
- Experience of Continuous Integration / Continuous Delivery
- Be technically fluent in Shell Scripting
- Be technically fluent in Pega Application Development
- Be technically fluent in git version control
- Infrastructure Testing
- Jira / Confluence