Plusnet is a Yorkshire based ISP with a unique brand identity. It’s a fast paced environment yet our offices have a distinctly friendly and informal feel to them - we know that you can do great business without the suits. We believe in making a difference, team work and putting the customer first in everything that we do. It’s an approach that’s allowed us to keep delivering award winning products and services for nearly 20 years!
Whatever your career ambitions, Plusnet is committed to giving you the skills and support that you need in order to achieve your goals; whether it’s training and development or just a breather over a game of table tennis or pool!
Of course there’s lots of other reasons to work at Plusnet; we’ll support you through a wide range of “Plusnetter” perks including free staff broadband & phone packages, pension, bonus & shares scheme and numerous discounts on items such as cinema tickets, mobile tariffs, city parking, gym memberships and much more!
So, if you’re looking to think creatively, challenge yourself and make the decisions that matter - we’d love to hear from you!
About the job
We’re looking for a Senior Software Engineer:
Fancy being at the coalface of what we do as a business? We need an experienced Senior Software Engineer to come in and drive our technology forward, using your skills at creating, developing, building and testing to keep us ahead of the game.
Our engineers develop skills across a number of technologies as part of a self-organising agile software team which is focussed on delivering rapid business value to our product owners, both within the multi-disciplinary delivery unit as well as collaborating across the wider department with other domain specialist teams. This is a unique opportunity to work closely with key stakeholders across the business such as the Head of Business, Project Managers, Business Analysts, Domain Experts and Customer Operations teams.
As a Senior Engineer you will...
As our Senior Engineer, you will:
- Work as part of a multi-skilled team on a range of exciting projects, from developing our website through to supporting complex product change back end changes
- Use a mix of engineering methods, such as TDD, refactoring, continuous integration, pair-programming and Docker containers to deliver high quality software at a rapid pace
- Drive and inspect continuous improvement of agile and test driven processes to increase quality of software
- Regularly inspect our current software to improve its quality
- Work with junior members of the team to develop their abilities
- Contribute to the planning, sizing and prioritisation of projects as they come in
- Investigate and resolve technical problems
- Ensure everything you do is compliant with our industry regulations
To be right for this role, we’ll need you to have great engineering experience already. We’re after someone who can jump into the deep end and get going without too much hand holding. You’ll understand PHP and/or Java, version control systems, object oriented design and development, and relational database design and development.
To be able to succeed in this role, you must have the following skills and experience…
- Commercial experience as a Senior Software Engineer in PHP and/or Java
- Version Control Systems
- Object oriented design and development
- Relational database design and development
- Agile development processes
- Mac OSX
- Git or other DVCSs
- iOS / Android
- Pair programming
- CI / CD
- Modern, multi-paradigm languages such as Scala, Node.js or Angular.js
- Experience of multi-tiered, multi-instance, transactional system architectures