Plusnet is a Yorkshire based ISP with a unique brand identity. It’s a fast paced environment yet our offices have a distinctly friendly and informal feel to them - we know that you can do great business without the suits. We believe in making a difference, team work and putting the customer first in everything that we do. It’s an approach that’s allowed us to keep delivering award winning products and services for nearly 20 years!
Whatever your career ambitions, Plusnet is committed to giving you the skills and support that you need in order to achieve your goals; whether it’s training and development or just a breather over a game of table tennis or pool!
Of course there’s lots of other reasons to work at Plusnet; we’ll support you through a wide range of “Plusnetter” perks including free staff broadband & phone packages, pension, bonus & shares scheme and numerous discounts on items such as cinema tickets, mobile tariffs, city parking, gym memberships and much more!
So, if you’re looking to think creatively, challenge yourself and make the decisions that matter - we’d love to hear from you!
About the job
We are a domain within Plusnet Technology’s Engineering department that looks after changes required for workplace and portal. Whether it is about making updates to our fancy website or supporting complex product change back end changes, we do it all. It is a dynamic multi skill team and has a wide range of challenging learning opportunities around all areas.
Our engineers develop skills across a number of technologies as part of a self-organising agile software team which is focussed on delivering rapid business value to our product owners, both within the multi-disciplinary delivery unit as well as collaborating across the wider department with other domain specialist teams. This is a unique opportunity to work closely with key stakeholders across the business such as the Head of Business, Project Managers, Business Analysts, Domain Experts and Customer Operations teams.
As a Senior Engineer you will...
- Form a part of a cross-functional team delivering valuable software in short iterations
- Use a variety of agile engineering practices such as TDD, Refactoring, User Stories, Continuous Integration/delivery, Docker containers and Pair-Programming to deliver high quality software at a rapid pace
- Drive and inspect continuous improvement of agile and test driven processes to increase quality of software.
- Coaching junior members of the team in best practice Engineering practices
- Contribute to planning, including sizing, prioritisation and capacity plans
- Investigate and resolve technical problems
- Ensuring all solutions are compliant with telecommunication and finance industry regulations
To be able to succeed in this role, you must have the following skills and experience…
- Version Control Systems
- Object oriented design and development
- Relational database design and development
- Agile development processes
- Mac OSX
- Git or other DVCSs
- iOS / Android
- Pair programming
- CI / CD
- Modern, multi-paradigm languages such as Scala, Node.js or Angular.js
- Experience of multi-tiered, multi-instance, transactional system architectures