Plusnet is a Yorkshire based ISP with a unique brand identity. It’s a fast paced environment yet our offices have a distinctly friendly and informal feel to them - we know that you can do great business without the suits. We believe in making a difference, team work and putting the customer first in everything that we do. It’s an approach that’s allowed us to keep delivering award winning products and services for nearly 20 years!
Whatever your career ambitions, Plusnet is committed to giving you the skills and support that you need in order to achieve your goals; whether it’s training and development or just a breather over a game of table tennis or pool!
Of course there’s lots of other reasons to work at Plusnet; we’ll support you through a wide range of “Plusnetter” perks including free staff broadband & phone packages, pension, bonus & shares scheme and numerous discounts on items such as cinema tickets, mobile tariffs, city parking, gym memberships and much more!
So, if you’re looking to think creatively, challenge yourself and make the decisions that matter - we’d love to hear from you!
About the job
As a Release Engineering Professional you will be a key member of the domain responsible for continuous integration, delivery, test automation and release. Your primary responsibility will be to support with delivery of software to all platforms alongside having a focus on improving and automating Plusnet’s releases. The team has an internal continual improvement framework embedded to support delivery and improve Continuous Delivery practices. This role also demands occasional release deployments out of hours.
As a Release Engineer you will...
- Support and improve our tools for continuous build, automated testing and release management
- Own, manage and improve Plusnet’s release process
- Have a strong focus on scale and efficiency
- Responsible for all activities within the release process ensuring both stability and quality is maintained through to delivery
- Responsible for software builds and releases
- Responsible for the design and development of builds, scripts, installation procedures and systems including source code control and issue tracking
- Works closely with the software automation team to ensure the builds and quality of software released is to the desired standard
- Review and support all software changes released to the live platform
- Ensure all engineering deliverables adhere to the standards set
To be able to succeed in this role, you will have the following skills and experience…
- Have prior experience of automating release and build processes using enterprise technologies and systems
- Experience in working in Agile environments to produce detailed and unambiguous design artefacts
- Understanding of end to end software development lifecycles used on large scale agile projects
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, communicating and influencing effectively
- Experience in working with multi-functional engineering teams
- Able to work in a self organized team and pick up new or unfamiliar technical concepts quickly
- Good operational experience and commercial awareness
- Where required able to work as either a developer or tester to ensure team goals are achieved
- Where required investigate and resolve production incidents
- Experience working with software that automates software provisioning, configuration management and application deployment (e.g Ansible, Chef, Concourse, Docker, Puppet , YAML)
- Fluency in modern object oriented programming languages (e.g. Java, PHP, Python)
- Knowledge of Atlassian Suite, specifically Confluence, Jira and Bitbucket as well as experience working with Software code repository, quality and build tools including Nexus, Sonar, Jenkins, Go CD and Bamboo
- An appreciation of programming concepts including object oriented programming, TDDBDD, CMS, virtualizationcontainerization, APIs, ReST and Continuous Delivery
- Experience with relational databases (MySQL, Oracle)
- An understanding of cloud and on premise infrastructure concepts
- Holds a technical degree
- Broad knowledge and understanding of SaaS, PaaS, IaaS industry
- Hands on experience with cloud offerings (AWS, GAE, Azure)
- Oracle Certified Associate Java SE Programmer or experience programming with Java
- Red Hat Training certification in Ansible
- Proficient in Bash/shell scripting and experience in working in a Unix architecture