Plusnet is a Yorkshire based ISP with a unique brand identity. It’s a fast paced environment yet our offices have a distinctly friendly and informal feel to them - we know that you can do great business without the suits. We believe in making a difference, team work and putting the customer first in everything that we do. It’s an approach that’s allowed us to keep delivering award winning products and services for nearly 20 years!
Whatever your career ambitions, Plusnet is committed to giving you the skills and support that you need in order to achieve your goals; whether it’s training and development or just a breather over a game of table tennis or pool!
Of course there’s lots of other reasons to work at Plusnet; we’ll support you through a wide range of “Plusnetter” perks including free staff broadband & phone packages, pension, bonus & shares scheme and numerous discounts on items such as cinema tickets, mobile tariffs, city parking, gym memberships and much more!
So, if you’re looking to think creatively, challenge yourself and make the decisions that matter - we’d love to hear from you!
About the job
The Quality Assurance Engineer is responsible for testing, validating and verifying that Plusnet platforms are fit for purpose at all times. This is achieved by the use of automation, regression tests and adherence to acceptance criteria for all work submitted by the Quality Assurance team, which will be rolled to the live platform. You work collaboratively as a member of a team to refine requirements, creating test plans, designing test cases, writing scripts, and testing the applications. You also provide technical and coordination support to the internal software release cycle. You are a role model for Quality Assurance Engineers in the team you set the bar for quality of craft and will provide regular technical and non-technical coaching.
You will continuously evaluate the systems, Quality Assurance policies, standards and procedures for improvements and take into account legal, regulatory, Human Rights and policy constraints. You are a knowledge champion and seek every opportunity to share your experience across the department.
You will develop a good understanding of the needs of your customer and may be required to represent your team in meetings with stakeholders, contributing to their strategy and direction.
As a Quality Assurance Engineer you keep up to date with the latest developments in Software Testing and apply industry standards and industry best practices to drive continuous improvement and innovation within Plusnet.
As a QA Engineer you will...
- Contribute to planning, including sizing, prioritisation and capacity plans.
- Continuously improve quality of products.
- Set the bar for quality within the team.
- Inspect and review the work of the team.
- Share knowledge through documentation and presentations.
- Personal development and improvement of skill set
- Keeping up-to-date with latest developments in your field
- Ensure all work complies with legal, regulatory and policy constraints
- Provide coaching and mentoring to the team
- Provide technical training to the department in fields of expertise
- Contribute to interviews as part of the recruitment process
- Research new tools and techniques and introduce these to the team
- Be proactive with reporting of any possible issues or delays
QA specific responsibilities:
- To apply the Plusnet Quality Assurance framework as a combination of tools, techniques and measures consistently to projects
- To continually maintain, improve and manage problem resolution and Quality Assurance processes
- Co-ordinate QA tasks of the team within your DU.
- Maintain and improve Quality Assurance documentation
- Participate and facilitate User Acceptance Testing when required
- Provide support for out-of-hours rollouts as required i.e. during the night
In order to apply you must...
…have the following skills, experience and outlook . . . .
- Linux (Ubuntu 11+) and competent with Linux Command Line Interface (CLI)
- ISTQB / ISEB qualified to Foundation level
- Windows 7
- MS Office
- LAMP Technologies
- Agile software development (SCRUM)
- Front-end and back-end testing experience
- Previous telecommunications experience or similar
- Broad knowledge of the following types of testing; Acceptance testing, functional testing, compatibility testing, system testing, system integration testing, user acceptance testing, smoke testing, regression testing
- ISTQB / ISEB qualified to Intermediate or Advance level
- Test Automation – Selenium, JUnit, TestNG, Java, Eclipse IDE, Jenkins, Git
- Experience of Continuous Integration
- Atlassian Toolset (Jira, Confluence)
- Non-functional testing (load, performance, security, etc)
- Works under general direction within a clear framework of accountability
- Substantial personal responsibility and autonomy
- Plans own work, to meet given objectives and processes
- Experience of supporting, maintaining, and troubleshooting in an ISP environment
- Experience of release management, configuration and rollouts
- Experience of working in a dynamic Engineering environment
- Ability to produce quality work to demanding timescales
- Ideally relevant industry qualifications or equivalent knowledge base
- Good technical understanding and experience
- Interpersonal skills working within a team environment
- Excellent trouble-shooting skills
- Outstanding ability to communicate both in written and verbal form