Plusnet is a Yorkshire based ISP with a unique brand identity. It’s a fast paced environment yet our offices have a distinctly friendly and informal feel to them - we know that you can do great business without the suits. We believe in making a difference, team work and putting the customer first in everything that we do. It’s an approach that’s allowed us to keep delivering award winning products and services for nearly 20 years!
Whatever your career ambitions, Plusnet is committed to giving you the skills and support that you need in order to achieve your goals; whether it’s training and development or just a breather over a game of table tennis or pool!
Of course there’s lots of other reasons to work at Plusnet; we’ll support you through a wide range of “Plusnetter” perks including free staff broadband & phone packages, pension, bonus & shares scheme and numerous discounts on items such as cinema tickets, mobile tariffs, city parking, gym memberships and much more!
So, if you’re looking to think creatively, challenge yourself and make the decisions that matter - we’d love to hear from you!
About the job
As a Technical Lead you are responsible for the development and support of software applications. You are the lead technical expert within a Domain. You work collaboratively as a member of a team to show what good is by being an expert engineer. You will be expected to demonstrate best practice in refining requirements, design solutions, write code, tests and deploy applications.
You are a role model for Engineers in the team with a responsibility to set a high bar for quality. As part of this responsibility you will provide regular technical and non-technical coaching. As a technical expert, you continuously evaluate areas of technology, process, standards and policy that can be improved.
You are a knowledge champion and seek every opportunity to share your experience across the department. You will develop a good understanding of the needs of your customer and may be required to represent your team in meetings with stakeholders, contributing to their strategy and direction. As a technology enthusiast you keep up to date with the latest developments in the IT industry and apply industry best practice to drive continuous improvement and innovation within Plusnet.
As a Technical Lead you will...
- Provide expert software engineering advise and coaching within the Domain
- Lead detailed design sessions
- Ensure technical delivery risks are addressed as early as possible within delivery schedules, through technical spikes and proof of technologies
- Inspect and review the work of the team providing governance of engineering principles
- Review and adapt processes and standards and provide recommendations for improvement.
- Continuously improve quality of products.
- Leads in the refinement of requirements and solution architecture to eliminate ambiguity, conflict & duplication.
- Leads the assigned domain at design governance meetings
- Identify opportunities to address waste including addressing technical debt, inefficient development processes and opportunities for automation.
- Contribute to planning, including sizing, prioritisation and capacity plans.
- Set the bar for quality within the Domain, never compromising engineering discipline
- Share knowledge through documentation, presentations and pairing.
- Personal development and improvement of skill set.
- Keeping up to date with the latest developments in your field.
- Ensure all your work complies with legal, regulatory and policy constraints.
- Provide coaching and mentoring to the team.
- Provide technical training to the department in fields of expertise.
- Contribute to interviews as part of the recruitment process.
- Key contributor to technical estimation when requested by Domain Manager
To be able to succeed in this role, you must have the following skills and experience…
- Expert knowledge with an object orientated language and be willing to work with the LAMP stack and or Java
- Hands-on experience of implementing many design patterns
- Excellent understanding of numerous application frameworks.
- Thorough understanding of applications servers including JBoss and Messaging
- Expert knowledge of programming concepts including object oriented programming, TDD/BDD, CMS, virtualization/containerization, API Gateways, ReST and Continuous Delivery.
- Expert knowledge of relational databases including querying and setting up of test data
- Experience with cloud and on premise infrastructure concepts
- In depth knowledge of Atlassian Suite tools (Confluence and Jira) or similar toolset.
- Oracle Certified Professional Java SE Programmer
- Full stack software development experience
- Expert knowledge of PHP Frameworks (Symfony, Zend)
- A keen advocate of agile best practice including CICD, TDD, BDD, Pair Programming and clean code.