Plusnet is a Yorkshire based ISP with a unique brand identity. It’s a fast paced environment yet our offices have a distinctly friendly and informal feel to them - we know that you can do great business without the suits. We believe in making a difference, team work and putting the customer first in everything that we do. It’s an approach that’s allowed us to keep delivering award winning products and services for nearly 20 years!
Whatever your career ambitions, Plusnet is committed to giving you the skills and support that you need in order to achieve your goals; whether it’s training and development or just a breather over a game of table tennis or pool!
Of course there’s lots of other reasons to work at Plusnet; we’ll support you through a wide range of “Plusnetter” perks including free staff broadband & phone packages, pension, bonus & shares scheme and numerous discounts on items such as cinema tickets, mobile tariffs, city parking, gym memberships and much more!
So, if you’re looking to think creatively, challenge yourself and make the decisions that matter - we’d love to hear from you!
About the job
As a Performance Test Engineer you are responsible for ensuring all Plusnet systems are adequately performance tested either personally, by the wider team or by using appropriate third parties. You are the lead technical expert within the Engineering departments with regards performance testing. You work collaboratively as a member of a team to show what good is by being an expert performance test engineer. You will be expected to demonstrate best practice in your field. The role is an opportunity to work on a greenfield project setting up a brand new performance testing framework from scratch. You'll be responsible for designing and building the framework the ground up, pulling from your experiences to deliver a robust platform that can be expanded to future projects. Working alongside the current Test Automation team to establish performance and load testing within Plusnet as a cornerstone in the release process. As a technology enthusiast you keep up to date with the latest developments in the IT industry and apply industry best practice to drive continuous improvement and innovation within Plusnet.
As a Performance Tester you will...
- Design, implement and support the creation of a performance testing framework.
- Create, maintain, and execute test plans and test cases against our hardware and software platforms.
- Estimate test efforts.
- Analyze and communicate test results.
- Enhance and extend the automation library and framework.
- Write specialized testing tools for use in testing our software platform
- Contribute to planning, including sizing, prioritisation and capacity plans.
- Keeping up to date with the latest developments in your field.
- Ensure all your work complies with legal, regulatory and policy constraints.
- Provide technical training to the department in fields of expertise.
Day to day activities
- Executing performance tests.
- Debugging performance tests.
- Building out the performance and load testing framework.
- Designing and generating tests for load, stress, soak and spike testing.
- Coaching peers around performance and load testing.
- Generating and analysing performance reports.
In order to apply you must...
- Extensive experience in Performance test tools that are industry standard.
- Extensive knowledge of software engineering and quality assurance best practices.
- Extensive knowledge of performance test tools and techniques.
- Excellent ability to partner with Architects, Developers, Dev-ops, DBAs, Product and Test to collaboratively fine-tune systems from Performance point of view.
- Knowledge with the LAMP stack and Java
- Knowledge of relational databases including querying and setting up of test data
- Experience with cloud and on premise infrastructure concepts
- Implement CI & CD in performance environment
- In depth knowledge of Atlassian Suite tools (Confluence and Jira) or similar toolset.
- Holds a computer science degree
- Expert knowledge of PHP Frameworks (Symfony, Zend)
- A keen advocate of agile best practice including CICD, TDD, BDD, Pair Programming and clean code.