Plusnet is a Yorkshire based ISP with a unique brand identity. It’s a fast paced environment yet our offices have a distinctly friendly and informal feel to them - we know that you can do great business without the suits. We believe in making a difference, team work and putting the customer first in everything that we do. It’s an approach that’s allowed us to keep delivering award winning products and services for nearly 20 years!
Whatever your career ambitions, Plusnet is committed to giving you the skills and support that you need in order to achieve your goals; whether it’s training and development or just a breather over a game of table tennis or pool!
Of course there’s lots of other reasons to work at Plusnet; we’ll support you through a wide range of “Plusnetter” perks including free staff broadband & phone packages, pension, bonus & shares scheme and numerous discounts on items such as cinema tickets, mobile tariffs, city parking, gym memberships and much more!
So, if you’re looking to think creatively, challenge yourself and make the decisions that matter - we’d love to hear from you!
About the job
This role sits within one of Plusnet’s Software Domains and is leading the team responsible for developing and maintaining the applications that support BT Global Services or other project work as required.
As a Lead Engineer you are responsible for leading a team who develop software applications as required by business projects. You ensure the team have everything they need to produce requirements, design solutions, write code and test to high quality. You support and facilitate the deployment of software to production, ensuring third line support is provided for all production systems. You are highly tuned to the needs of the team and provide regular coaching, working with stakeholders to remove impediments to enable the team to succeed.
This is an ideal opportunity for a strong engineer looking to gain management experience.
As a Lead Engineer you will...
- Providing leadership to the team
- Delivering projects on time and to scope, budget and quality
- Improving the performance of the team
- Improving the quality of our products and services
- Personal and professional development of team members
- Solving departmental technical and people issues in cooperation with peer group
A typical day might involve running the daily stand-up, providing some ad-hoc coaching to a team member to help them resolve a problem, having a 121, giving a status update at a project meeting, providing a high level estimate for a future project, helping the team solve a current problem at a team meeting and identifying and resolving a risk to the current project. And if you're really lucky you might find some time to write some code.
To be able to succeed in this role, you must have the following skills and experience…
- Wide experience of software delivery models
- Extensive knowledge of software engineering best practices
- Strong communication skills
- Strong coaching skills
- Willingness and ability to challenge others effectively and to have difficult conversations
- Experience of leading a team of engineers
- Experience of leading the delivery of projects to scope, time, budget and quality
- Proven track record of effectively managing others performance