Plusnet is a Yorkshire based ISP with a unique brand identity. It’s a fast paced environment yet our offices have a distinctly friendly and informal feel to them - we know that you can do great business without the suits. We believe in making a difference, team work and putting the customer first in everything that we do. It’s an approach that’s allowed us to keep delivering award winning products and services for nearly 20 years!
Whatever your career ambitions, Plusnet is committed to giving you the skills and support that you need in order to achieve your goals; whether it’s training and development or just a breather over a game of table tennis or pool!
Of course there’s lots of other reasons to work at Plusnet; we’ll support you through a wide range of “Plusnetter” perks including free staff broadband & phone packages, pension, bonus & shares scheme and numerous discounts on items such as cinema tickets, mobile tariffs, city parking, gym memberships and much more!
So, if you’re looking to think creatively, challenge yourself and make the decisions that matter - we’d love to hear from you!
About the job
As a Test Automation Lead you are responsible for a team of Automation Test Engineers who own automation test best practice, processes, tools and frameworks. You are the lead technical expert within the Engineering departments with regards automated testing. You work collaboratively as a member of a team to show what good is by being an expert engineer. You will be expected to demonstrate best practice in test automation. As part of this responsibility you will provide regular technical and non-technical coaching. As a technical expert, you continuously evaluate areas of technology, process, standards and policy that can be improved. You are a knowledge champion and seek every opportunity to share your experience across the department. You will develop a good understanding of the needs of your customer and will be required to represent your team in meetings with stakeholders, contributing to their strategy and direction. As a technology enthusiast you keep up to date with the latest developments in the IT industry and apply industry best practice to drive continuous improvement and innovation within Plusnet.
As a Lead Automation Tester you will...
- Provide leadership to the team
- Deliver projects on time and to scope, budget and quality
- Improve the performance of the team
- Improve the quality of our products and services
- Provide personal and professional development of team members
- Solve departmental technical and people issues in cooperation with peer group
- Review and adapt processes and standards and provide recommendations for improvement.
- Continuously improve quality of products produced.
- Contribute to planning, including sizing, prioritisation and capacity plans.
- Keeping up to date with the latest developments in your field.
- Ensure all your work complies with legal, regulatory and policy constraints.
- Provide technical training to the department in fields of expertise.
Day to day activities
- Co-ordinating a daily team stand-up.
- Providing status reports around project work, as well as estimations for expected completion.
- High level planning for future projects.
- Identifying and resolving any risks that may impact the delivery of a current project.
- Ad-hoc coaching for team members to resolve problems.
- Working to identify areas of improvement for team members, support to provide training needed.
- Performing a 121 with a team member.
- Ensuring team members are utilised effectively on the current project work, making sure everyone is working to their strengths.
To be able to succeed in this role, you must have the following skills and experience…
- Extensive knowledge of software engineering best practices.
- Extensive knowledge of quality assurance best practices.
- Extensive knowledge of test automation tools and techniques.
- Exceptional communication skills.
- Strong coaching skills.
- Knowledge with the LAMP stack and Java
- Knowledge of relational databases including querying and setting up of test data
- Experience with cloud and on premise infrastructure concepts
- In depth knowledge of Atlassian Suite tools (Confluence and Jira) or similar toolset.
- Holds a computer science degree
- Expert knowledge of PHP Frameworks (Symfony, Zend)
- A keen advocate of agile best practice including CICD, TDD, BDD, Pair Programming and clean code.