Plusnet is a Yorkshire based ISP with a unique brand identity. It’s a fast paced environment yet our offices have a distinctly friendly and informal feel to them - we know that you can do great business without the suits. We believe in making a difference, team work and putting the customer first in everything that we do. It’s an approach that’s allowed us to keep delivering award winning products and services for 22 years!
Whatever your career ambitions, Plusnet is committed to giving you the skills and support that you need in order to achieve your goals; whether it’s training and development or just a breather over a game of table tennis or pool!
Of course there’s lots of other reasons to work at Plusnet; we’ll support you through a wide range of “Plusnetter” perks including free staff broadband & phone packages, pension, bonus & shares scheme and numerous discounts on items such as cinema tickets, mobile tariffs, city parking, gym memberships and much more!
So, if you’re looking to think creatively, challenge yourself and make the decisions that matter - we’d love to hear from you!
About the job
We are a domain within Plusnet Technology’s Engineering department that looks after changes required for workplace and portal. Whether it is about making updates to our fancy website or supporting complex product change back end changes, we do it all. It is a dynamic multi skill team and has a wide range of challenging learning opportunities around all areas.
Our engineers develop skills across a number of technologies as part of a self-organising agile software team which is focussed on delivering rapid business value to our product owners, both within the multi-disciplinary delivery unit as well as collaborating across the wider department with other domain specialist teams. This is a unique opportunity to work closely with key stakeholders across the business such as the Head of Business, Project Managers, Business Analysts, Domain Experts and Customer Operations teams.
As a Junior Software Engineer you will...
Be responsible for the development and support of software applications as required by business projects.
- Investigate and resolve problems
- Develop high quality software solutions in multi-tiered architecture
- Produce unit, acceptance and integration tests for software solutions
- Contribute to planning, including sizing, prioritisation and capacity plans
- Proactively share the things you learn within your team
- Keep up to date with the latest developments in Software Engineering
- Apply industry standard best practices to drive continuous improvement
- Be proactive with reporting of any possible issues or delays
- Might be asked to support out of hours rollout and on-call activities
To be able to succeed in this role, you must have the following skills and experience…
- Good level of knowledge of the Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP (LAMP) development stack or Java.
- Comfortable in version controls systems such as Git
- Strong knowledge of system and software quality assurance best practices and methodologies
- Knowledge of database design and file management techniques
- Proven experience in development and implementation of software solutions
- Experience of Continuous Integration
- Experience of Test Driven Development and Agile Development processes
- Hands-on experience with automated software and system management tools
- Exposure to MVC frameworks such as Symfony or Zend Framework