Plusnet is an award winning Yorkshire based ISP and the UK’s largest ISP. It’s a wholly owned subsidiary of BT Consumer running as an autonomous business and retaining a unique brand identity. We are a Multi-award winning provider differentiating ourselves on a combination of excellent value and outstanding service.
We believe in making a difference, team work and putting the customer first in everything that we do. We work in a fast paced and challenging environment yet our offices have a distinctly friendly and informal feel to them - we know that you can do great business without the suits!
About the job
The role holder will sit on the Plusnet Engineering & Operations (E&O) leadership team and report to the Plusnet CIO. The key purpose of the role is to form and lead an effective software delivery function covering all lifecycle phases from concept development, estimation and costing, design, build, quality-assurance, release management and maintenance disciplines.
You will be accountable for delivering an operating model which interfaces with the Plusnet Programme Management Group (PPMG/PMO), Technical Delivery Hub (TDH) and the IT Operations department, ensuring a seamless end to end operating model is established.
As a Head of Software you will...
- Manage a team of engineering domain managers setting and monitoring clear expectation in terms of unit and collective performance expectations in line with the agreed operating model.
- Manage a departmental roadmap, budget and scorecard which will form the basis of departmental performance reviews on a quarterly basis in line with Plusnet and wider BT Consumer reporting frameworks.
- Balance investment from a variety of key business demand sources to create the optimal arrangement of capacity and skills required to meet not only the demands of the Plusnet annual planning goals, but also the longer term mid-term strategic planning horizon.
- Manage relationships with key suppliers and drive effective commercial governance reviews, to ensure controls are in place to balance short term flexibility with longer term cost-effectiveness as an overall supply organisation.
- Establish a clear and consistent delivery methodology and a culture of continuous learning and improvement to optimise the delivery model over time.
- Be a positive leadership role-model for engineering domain management staff in line with the Plusnet Leadership Framework coaching and mentoring to ensure a healthy succession plan is in place.
In order to apply you must...
...have the following skills, experience and outlook...
- Experienced, fully competent and with substantial knowledge and experience in management of large scale, multi-site software delivery organisation
- Previous experience acting as a key contributor in the wider business processes relating to roadmap and planning
- An experienced people manager, able to lead and motivate large teams in a dynamic environment
- Acts as a source of methodological and technical expertise to others and applies knowledge/ skills to a range of activities with an ability to explain clearly and concisely technical information
- Able to influence senior managers, can quickly establish credibility and respect and build strong working relationships
- Demonstrable professionalism with a proven ability to navigate across functional disciplines and operate in matrixed business environment
- Able to work independently, manages own time to meet agreed targets