Plusnet is a Yorkshire based ISP with a unique brand identity. It’s a fast paced environment yet our offices have a distinctly friendly and informal feel to them - we know that you can do great business without the suits. We believe in making a difference, team work and putting the customer first in everything that we do. It’s an approach that’s allowed us to keep delivering award winning products and services for over 21 years!
Whatever your career ambitions, Plusnet is committed to giving you the skills and support that you need in order to achieve your goals; whether it’s training and development or just a breather over a game of table tennis or pool!
Of course there’s lots of other reasons to work at Plusnet; we’ll support you through a wide range of “Plusnetter” perks including free staff broadband & phone packages, pension, bonus & shares scheme and numerous discounts on items such as cinema tickets, mobile tariffs, city parking, gym memberships and much more!
So, if you’re looking to think creatively, challenge yourself and make the decisions that matter - we’d love to hear from you!
About the job
As a Data Strategy Analyst, you will be part of the team responsible for ensuring the business has the appropriate data platforms and tools to support the Plusnet strategy. Your work will ensure that we are using the best mechanisms to handle and process our data, enabling the extraction of key insights that drive business decisions.
You will investigate, validate and analyse information from various data sources to enhance our business intelligence capabilities. This will involve building proof of concept models and demonstrating new technologies that bring innovation and value to the business.
This is a great opportunity for a self-starter who is looking to develop their career. You will have the opportunity to contribute to shaping plans and launching new reporting and analytics programmes. You will gain experience of common languages, technologies and capabilities used within the data space such as SQL, R, Python, Data management systems (Relational and Unstructured), OLAP, Data Mining, Enterprise Data Integration/ETL and Master Data Management.
As a Data Strategy Analyst you will...
- Have a good understanding of the Plusnet organisation and hierarchy in order to support the maintenance and development of data platform capabilities
- Support current data processes whilst always working towards creating a single customer view
- Assist in the discovery and analysis of new data sources
- Work with stakeholders to derive business benefits from new and existing data sets
- Build proofs of concept to demonstrate new technologies and tool sets that can bring value to the business
- Collaborate on Plusnet’s Information Strategy, providing analysis elaborating specific elements or taking ownership for delivery of specific informational capabilities.
- Identify collaboration opportunities within the wider BT group according to our strategy
- Use approved programming and scripting languages according to the relevant coding standards and guidelines
- Feed into the production and maintenance of development guidelines and coding standards
- Ensure tools and processes support consistency of output so that all live reporting maintains the “one version of the truth”
- Design solutions for data processes based on requirements gathered from stakeholders
- Produce detailed specification documentation that can be used by business stakeholders to verify that their requirements will be met and by development teams to provide accurate estimates of work required
- Provide feedback to stakeholders and line management during all phases of work to a level that ensures progress can be monitored effectively
- Document all work to a standard that provides peers with sufficient information to review it effectively and provide on-going support
- Provide assistance in the resolution of problems raised in other business areas
- Provide support in the checking and maintenance of the reporting system servers and mechanisms
- Assist with and peer review team members' work
To be able to succeed in this role, you must have the following skills and experience…
- Numerate degree or equivalent experience
- Knowledge of business intelligence development and data warehouse design
- Use of Microsoft SQL Server up to version 2017 and its BI toolset to deliver data and reporting solutions
- Familiarity with the Linux operating system and bash programming would be advantageous
- Experience in software development, maintenance and debugging
- Awareness of statistical modelling and machine learning and how these can be utilised to deliver business insights
- Experience in using tools or scripting languages to perform data ingestion, transformation and analysis
- Data manipulation/transformation skills
- Ability to interpret raw data
- Good communicator- both written and presenting
- Solid analytical skills
- Ability to create and deliver succinct, accurate and meaningful presentations
- Good commercial awareness
- Strong cross-functional thinking, able to grasp business priorities
- Reliable, accurate and results-oriented
- Strong organisational skills, able to work under time pressure
- Creative, responsive and adaptive in a dynamic environment