Plusnet is a Yorkshire based ISP with a unique brand identity. It’s a fast paced environment yet our offices have a distinctly friendly and informal feel to them - we know that you can do great business without the suits. We believe in making a difference, team work and putting the customer first in everything that we do. It’s an approach that’s allowed us to keep delivering award winning products and services for nearly 20 years!
Whatever your career ambitions, Plusnet is committed to giving you the skills and support that you need in order to achieve your goals; whether it’s training and development or just a breather over a game of table tennis or pool!
Of course there’s lots of other reasons to work at Plusnet; we’ll support you through a wide range of “Plusnetter” perks including free staff broadband & phone packages, pension, bonus & shares scheme and numerous discounts on items such as cinema tickets, mobile tariffs, city parking, gym memberships and much more!
So, if you’re looking to think creatively, challenge yourself and make the decisions that matter - we’d love to hear from you!
About the job
We are looking for a self-starter with the drive to learn and looking to develop their career by improving their UNIX / database skills. This is a fantastic opportunity for someone to join a great company.
As a Data Platform Developer you will...
- Write code in SQL and approved scripting languages (mainly bash) to the team development guidelines and coding standards
- Ensure consistency of output so that all live reporting maintains “one version of the truth”
- Produce detailed specification documentation that can be used by peers and business stakeholders to verify that their requirements will be met
- Design solutions for data sources based on the requirements laid out in a specification
- Provide input in the design of project sized pieces of work
- Provide feedback to stakeholders and line management during all phases of work to a level that ensures progress can be monitored effectively
- Document all work to a standard that provides peers with sufficient information to review it effectively and provide on-going support
- Provide data documentation to enable end-users to understand all possible outputs and utilise the information effectively
To be able to succeed in this role, you must have the following skills and experience…
- Relational databases
- SQL and stored procedures
- Linux operating systems, scripting (e.g. bash / python)
- Ability to work as part of a team is essential
- Good written and presentation communication skills
- Data manipulation/transformation skills
- Solid analytical skills
- Good commercial awareness
- Ability to interpret raw data
- Strong cross-functional thinking, able to grasp business priorities
- Reliable, well-organised, accurate, results-oriented
- Strong organisational skills, able to work under time pressure