Plusnet is a Yorkshire based ISP with a unique brand identity. It’s a fast paced environment yet our offices have a distinctly friendly and informal feel to them - we know that you can do great business without the suits. We believe in making a difference, team work and putting the customer first in everything that we do. It’s an approach that’s allowed us to keep delivering award winning products and services for nearly 20 years!
Whatever your career ambitions, Plusnet is committed to giving you the skills and support that you need in order to achieve your goals; whether it’s training and development or just a breather over a game of table tennis or pool!
Of course there’s lots of other reasons to work at Plusnet; we’ll support you through a wide range of “Plusnetter” perks including free staff broadband & phone packages, pension, bonus & shares scheme and numerous discounts on items such as cinema tickets, mobile tariffs, city parking, gym memberships and much more!
So, if you’re looking to think creatively, challenge yourself and make the decisions that matter - we’d love to hear from you!
About the job
Data architecture is an emerging discipline within Plusnet that is critical to improving the way we manage and leverage critical informational assets.
You will have the responsibility of modelling our data architectures and lineage across source systems through warehouses, marts through to reporting, analytics and business intelligence tools. You will play a key role in understanding and improving the business value from information, managing quality and ensuring our future state IT systems are underpinned by quality data architectures.
- Define architectural solutions describing how data will be managed across Plusnet, including when solutions are hosted / managed by other parts of the BT Group or by other 3rd parties
- Produce specific data architectures; modelling data across the enterprise, ensuring achievement of high levels of data quality and ensuring optimal master data management
- Engage with other architects and designers, providing data architectural designs for strategic projects, ensure that data components deliver in keeping with Plusnet’s information strategy
- Ensure across all delivery projects that Plusnet business value outcomes relating to information can are protected
This role operates across the breadth of Plusnet, working highly collaborative with designers, architects and others working within the information domain predominantly with structured data, but also supporting unstructured data architectures
As a Data Architect you will...
- Act as an expert advisor to Chief Architect, IT, Data & Analytics teams, articulating and translating strategic change into technical data requirements.
- Inputs to and supports the creation/maintenance of Informational elements of the IT strategy.
- Promote, evangelise and agree the data outcomes of Plusnet’s IT strategy supporting the Enterprise Architecture – Information.
- Develop and maintain industry leading knowledge on data architecture, management & governance participating within industry forums on the subject, leveraging this experience for Plusnet outcomes.
- Actively engages BT Chief Architects office ensuring high level of strategic alignment, identifying opportunities for Plusnet to re-use capability
- Support the Enterprise Architect – Information, producing strategic information architectural models defining the patterns that will delivery Plusnet’s Information Strategy
- Create simple and agile data architectures for your domain, driving clear business value aligned to customer journey, commercial and requirements-based outcomes
- Ensures architectures are aligned with divisional strategies and programmes, actively engaging with CTIO and BT-Technology peers
- Lead the production of entity-based modelling across Plusnet’s IT estate, defining as-is, transitionary and to-be data architectures.
- Model and produce designs targeting specific improvements in data quality aligned with business outcomes utilising annual plan or strategic projects as the vehicle to achieve improvements.
- Manage architectural blueprints for master data management across all projects, providing specific designs for each project (working in collaboration with other EA’s and solution architects) ensuring delivery against those blueprints.
- Produce information lifecycle models informing or elaborating architectural designs
- Evangelise and champion data architecture and best practice across IT peers, Plusnet and the wider group
- Coach and mentor others to embed best data architecture practices across Plusnet
- Define Plusnet standards for data architecture, aligned as far as practical with BT Group standards ensuring consistency and best practice is maintained across Plusnet
- Ensuring that data architecture standards and best practices are maintained within allocated domain and across the organisation.
- Measures and reports on data architecture & design conformance.
In order to apply you must...
- A proven track record of Data Architecture working in complex corporate environments
- Understanding complex business challenges & opportunities, and any risks and opportunities within these across information, people, process and technology
- Customer focused: You see things through the eyes of the customer and strive to make improvements based on the customer needs and experience.
- Change Agent - leading and evangelising business outcomes-based change
- Knowledge of a broad range of information technology, ideally in a telco environment.
- STEM related University degree or related disciple other rigorous technical discipline OR significant experience of shaping and delivering change using enterprise engineering techniques
- Experience of one or more enterprise data architecture frameworks (DAMA, CDMP, DGPO etc.)
- Results oriented, ensuring you always achieve your ambitious goals, outcomes and timelines
- Ability to influence and persuade in a positive way and drive/sell a vision for the future and resolving conflicts.
- Creates a positive, collaborative environment fostering cross team working to solve architectural challenges or strategy creation.
- Proven ability to build, motivate, manage and drive teams creating a great working environment
- Ability to set and manage priorities judiciously.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to listen and gather information.
- Ability to articulate ideas to both technical and non-technical audiences and informing fact-based decisions that are well articulated and clear.
- Exceptionally self-motivated and directed.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Superior analytical, evaluative, and problem-solving abilities.
- Exceptional service orientation.
- Creative and innovative thinking/solution building