Plusnet is a Yorkshire based ISP with a unique brand identity. It’s a fast paced environment yet our offices have a distinctly friendly and informal feel to them - we know that you can do great business without the suits. We believe in making a difference, team work and putting the customer first in everything that we do. It’s an approach that’s allowed us to keep delivering award winning products and services for nearly 20 years!
Whatever your career ambitions, Plusnet is committed to giving you the skills and support that you need in order to achieve your goals; whether it’s training and development or just a breather over a game of table tennis or pool!
Of course there’s lots of other reasons to work at Plusnet; we’ll support you through a wide range of “Plusnetter” perks including free staff broadband & phone packages, pension, bonus & shares scheme and numerous discounts on items such as cinema tickets, mobile tariffs, city parking, gym memberships and much more!
So, if you’re looking to think creatively, challenge yourself and make the decisions that matter - we’d love to hear from you!
About the job
Plusnet is recruiting a Commercial/Consumer Lawyer with a minimum of 2 years PQE gained within an in-house legal team or at a top tier law firm. You will report to Plusnet’s Legal & Compliance Director and sit in a multi-functional team that includes lawyers, compliance specialists, the Data Protection Officer and the Quality and Business Continuity Manager. The role will be based at Plusnet’s Sheffield headquarters.
Plusnet is the UK’s 5th largest ISP and is currently undergoing significant growth and change. As a lawyer in the company, you will play a critical role in facilitating this growth and change and will have daily interaction with the most senior managers in the business.
The primary focus of the role will be advising the business on commercial and consumer law matters. This will include drafting and negotiating agreements with suppliers, business customers and third-party outsourcing partners; drafting and advising on customer-facing terms and conditions; managing contractual disputes; resolving customer complaints; reviewing and advising on marketing copy, pricing and product propositions; and defending and initiating complaints before the Advertising Standards Agency.
You will also be asked to advise the business on other types of legal issues as they arise, including in the areas of employment, IP, consumer credit and litigation. As needed, guidance and assistance will be available from subject matter experts in Plusnet’s parent company, BT, or procured externally.
You may also become involved in regulatory, compliance and data protection activities and may, at times, be asked to manager and deliver major projects in these areas. This might include overseeing investigations before Ofcom, leading on regulatory and compliance change projects, investigating data breaches and helping the business manage risk through the enterprise risk management process.
In order to apply you must...
…have the following skills, experience and outlook…
- 2 years PQE as part of an in house legal team or at a top tier law firm
- Demonstrable track record in producing high quality and effective legal advice
- Experience in leading negotiations on complex, high value, strategically significant contracts and in the project management and delivery of large scale projects
- Experience advising on consumer law issues
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the confidence, professional capability, intellect and calibre to gain the trust and respect of senior executives quickly
- The ability to question and negotiate around tough issues and make decisions dispassionately and with sound business judgment
- Demonstrable maturity and professionalism with a proven ability to build strong working relationships, work collaboratively and navigate across different functional disciplines
- The confidence and enthusiasm to become involved in projects outside of your areas of expertise
- Knowledge of the telecoms sector and UK telecoms regulation
- Working knowledge of data protection law
- Working knowledge of advertising law