Plusnet is a Yorkshire based ISP with a unique brand identity. It’s a fast paced environment yet our offices have a distinctly friendly and informal feel to them - we know that you can do great business without the suits. We believe in making a difference, team work and putting the customer first in everything that we do. It’s an approach that’s allowed us to keep delivering award winning products and services for nearly 20 years!
Whatever your career ambitions, Plusnet is committed to giving you the skills and support that you need in order to achieve your goals; whether it’s training and development or just a breather over a game of table tennis or pool!
Of course there’s lots of other reasons to work at Plusnet; we’ll support you through a wide range of “Plusnetter” perks including free staff broadband & phone packages, pension, bonus & shares scheme and numerous discounts on items such as cinema tickets, mobile tariffs, city parking, gym memberships and much more!
So, if you’re looking to think creatively, challenge yourself and make the decisions that matter - we’d love to hear from you!
About the job
As an Application Support Engineer you will monitor, administer, design and support the platform that Plusnet require for the operation of its business. You will also support the Network Operations and Application Development teams during and after project delivery.
You will be required to solve business problems and further business success by applying industry, application and technical knowledge through the definition of high level solutions. In addition you will work proactively with the business to define new initiatives. You will encourage people to share knowledge for mutual benefit, and keep an eye on developments in the wider IT industry; to ensure the skills within the function remain at the cutting-edge to meet future business requirements.
As an Application Support Engineer you will...
- Ensure that the relevant application platforms are operationally maintained by following best practice for performance, tuning, monitoring, backup and recovery
- Assist with the design of database schemes and instances together with the Software Developers and Network Support teams
- Ensure the integration of application function with the relevant platforms are dealt with effectively
- Create and document the design of the technical and service elements required to meet project and pilot requirements
- Configure and deploy application software to the projects technical specifications in an accurate, resilient and timely manner whilst ensuring as few issues as possible
- Assist with the reporting of application information such as performance, health, capacity, ad hoc reports
- Provide support to other engineering functions with regards to ongoing projects.
- Draft reports and make recommendations to managers and project sponsors.
- Provide analytical and innovative input to projects/operational issues as well as support negotiations.
- Provide problem diagnosis and resolution liaising with peers, suppliers and customer/developer groups where appropriate; available to support P1 emergencies and could be asked to provide full 24-hour on call emergency support.
To be able to succeed in this role, you must have the following skills and experience…
- Experience of Oracle 12c, including RAC and ASM
- Good knowledge of Linux, preferably Debian
- Experience of scripting languages eg. Perl
- Experience of Netcracker RBM and/or Pega CM
- Project Management/Delivery
- Any relevant industry qualifications or equivalent knowledge
- Strong communicator
- Plans own work, to meet given objectives and processes.
- Experience within an ISP environment is desirable
- Able to produce quality work whilst working to demanding timescales
- Ability to work and embody an open and honest community