Plusnet is a Yorkshire based ISP with a unique brand identity. It’s a fast paced environment yet our offices have a distinctly friendly and informal feel to them - we know that you can do great business without the suits. We believe in making a difference, team work and putting the customer first in everything that we do. It’s an approach that’s allowed us to keep delivering award winning products and services for nearly 20 years!
Whatever your career ambitions, Plusnet is committed to giving you the skills and support that you need in order to achieve your goals; whether it’s training and development or just a breather over a game of table tennis or pool!
Of course there’s lots of other reasons to work at Plusnet; we’ll support you through a wide range of “Plusnetter” perks including free staff broadband & phone packages, pension, bonus & shares scheme and numerous discounts on items such as cinema tickets, mobile tariffs, city parking, gym memberships and much more!
So, if you’re looking to think creatively, challenge yourself and make the decisions that matter - we’d love to hear from you!
About the job
The Technical Services Support Engineer’s primary responsibility is to implement and maintain Plusnet’s platforms/systems as part of the Technical Services Team. Technical Services platforms/systems contribute/account for over 90% of all products and services that Plusnet offer.
You will act as Platform Owner for a number of services and platforms. This will include break/fix actions as well as implementing business as usual platform improvements, in-line with business requirements and security management policies. You are required to join an on call rota providing resolution of high priority issues out of core business hours. This rota is a 1 in 5 rota with appropriate re-compensation.
You will ensure that the Technical Services policies, standards and procedures for the function that support the business aims and take into account legal, regulatory, Human Rights and policy constraints.
As a Technical Services support engineer, you will also encourage people to share knowledge for mutual benefit in improving skills, and keep an eye on developments in the wider IT industry; to ensure the skills within the function remain at the cutting-edge to meet future business requirements.
You will leverage the experience of the relevant professional communities, ensuring knowledge sharing extends beyond the functional boundary of the role. You may also play a key part in the BT wide professional communities and champion innovation within his/her areas of responsibility.
You will be seen as an innovator – someone who has a keen eye for detail and pride in their work, who is a technical subject matter expert for the platforms you support, and having a key say in how platforms go forward from a maintainability and performance perspective.
As a 2nd Line Linux Systems Admin you will...
- Ensuring the Technical Services Support team resolves all escalated customer and platform issues within SLA
- Ensuring all relevant information flow, as part of the escalation process to drive resolution of work streams for all customers that Technical Services support
- Ensure support is provided to other teams when experiencing high workflows
- Understanding context of incidents to best support customers
- Supporting varying Server/Storage equipment and technologies including varying virtualisation solutions
- Platform owner for various systems, owning documentation, continual service improvement, capacity planning, training and development of peers on owned platforms
- Troubleshooting of multiple technologies
- Monitoring of internal / external systems
- Update and create where necessary operational documentation and keep it fully up-to-date
- Provide 3rd line support to the CSC for resolution of complex problems and/or tickets
- Follow all published business standards and best practices
- Work within a change controlled environment
- Look to assist in taking on other work within IT Operations including workflows where the opportunity arises to facilitate self development
- Deliver any other reasonable requests from your line manager or senior management team
- Be accountable by using internal systems and Internal Communications for daily projects
In order to apply you must...
- Experience gained working in a system operational environment
- An excellent understanding of Internet technologies and services
- Strong Linux/Unix skills
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Strong communication skills
- Strong time management skills
- Customer orientated
- Understanding of ITIL methodologies
- Database experience (MySQL)
- Performance testing experience
- Scripting experience
- C/C++ experience
- Load Balanced/HA Solutions
- Infrastructure Automation (Puppet, Chef, cfengine)
- Virtualisation technology exposure (Xen, KVM, Openstack)
- Confidence/Ability to think outside the box and challenge the norm.