Plusnet is a Yorkshire based ISP with a unique brand identity. It’s a fast paced environment yet our offices have a distinctly friendly and informal feel to them - we know that you can do great business without the suits. We believe in making a difference, team work and putting the customer first in everything that we do. It’s an approach that’s allowed us to keep delivering award winning products and services for nearly 20 years!
Whatever your career ambitions, Plusnet is committed to giving you the skills and support that you need in order to achieve your goals; whether it’s training and development or just a breather over a game of table tennis or pool!
Of course there’s lots of other reasons to work at Plusnet; we’ll support you through a wide range of “Plusnetter” perks including free staff broadband & phone packages, pension, bonus & shares scheme and numerous discounts on items such as cinema tickets, mobile tariffs, city parking, gym memberships and much more!
So, if you’re looking to think creatively, challenge yourself and make the decisions that matter - we’d love to hear from you!
About the job
The ITO Application Support Engineer is part of a team which is collectively responsible for providing monitoring and first line support fix to all incidents affecting Plusnet platforms, services and infrastructure.
You will be responsible for providing information and technical support to the incident management team to aid them with the management of incidents impacting Plusnet customers, both internal and external, and ensure that the Incident Team is able to understand the details of the incident and communicate them out clearly to the appropriate stakeholders. You will also look to continually improve the customer experience in the protection and improvement of all services under their direct remit to support.
As a ITO Application Support Engineer you will...
- Monitor live production applications and systems and investigate deviations from normal behaviours further
- Produce, document and implement solutions to live system-affecting incidents
- Review data (e.g. log files, DB queries) to quantify impacts of incidents
- Assess new application affecting incidents raised in our live production environment, properly assessing impact and proximal cause, so that correct levels of resource can be engaged and prioritised to resolve the incident in a timely manner
- Become a Technical Authority on common areas of our live application codebase, able to advise other parts of the business on how systems interplay and possible impacts/outcome of changes
- Provide input to solution designs, produced by other team members or teams
- Action, design and code reviews for incident fixes produced by other team members
- Take part in our on-call support rota, supporting any critical live application incidents that occur Out of Hours during your rota period on call
In order to apply you must have the following skills, experience and outlook...
- Experience of PHP, MVC, MySQL, Apache, REST, SOAP, WSDL, XML, and associated web-application architecture and design patterns
- Analysis/Design/Implementation skills
- Ability to use the Linux command line for system support, operational and analytical activities
- Experience of server management, configuration and rollouts
- Good understanding of Linux and IP network environments
- Interpersonal skills working within a team environment
- Experience of supporting, maintaining, and troubleshooting in an ISP environment