Plusnet is an award winning Yorkshire based ISP and the UK’s largest ISP. It’s a wholly owned subsidiary of BT Consumer running as an autonomous business and retaining a unique brand identity. We are a Multi-award winning provider differentiating ourselves on a combination of excellent value and outstanding service.
We believe in making a difference, team work and putting the customer first in everything that we do. We work in a fast paced and challenging environment yet our offices have a distinctly friendly and informal feel to them - we know that you can do great business without the suits!
About the job
You will play a key part in shaping the future direction of software delivery at one of the fastest growing internet providers in the industry. Opportunities like this don’t come along often!
You will sit on the Plusnet Engineering & Operations leadership team and report directly to the Plusnet CIO and be accountable for establishing and delivering a seamless end to end operating model which interfaces with all technical & programme management departments at Plusnet.
You will form and lead an effective software delivery function covering all lifecycle phases from concept development, estimation and costing, design, build, quality-assurance, release management and maintenance disciplines.
As a Head of Software you will...
- Manage a team of engineering domain managers setting and monitoring clear expectation in terms of unit and collective performance expectations in line with the agreed operating model.
- Manage a departmental roadmap, budget and scorecard which will form the basis of departmental performance reviews on a quarterly basis in line with Plusnet and wider BT Consumer reporting frameworks.
- Balance investment from a variety of key business demand sources to create the optimal arrangement of capacity and skills required to meet not only the demands of the Plusnet annual planning goals, but also the longer term mid-term strategic planning horizon.
- Manage relationships with key suppliers and drive effective commercial governance reviews, to ensure controls are in place to balance short term flexibility with longer term cost-effectiveness as an overall supply organisation.
- Establish a clear and consistent delivery methodology and a culture of continuous learning and improvement to optimise the delivery model over time.
- Be a positive leadership role-model for engineering domain management staff in line with the Plusnet Leadership Framework coaching and mentoring to ensure a healthy succession plan is in place.
In order to apply you must have the following skills, experience and outlook...
- Outstanding people leader, able to inspire and motivate large teams and navigate across functional disciplines and operate in a matrixed business environment
- Exceptional stakeholder skills – able to quickly establish credibility and respect and build strong working relationships
- Experienced, fully competent and with substantial knowledge and experience in the management of large scale, multi-site software delivery
- Previous experience acting as a key contributor in the wider business processes relating to strategy, roadmap and planning and business transformation programmes
- Act as a source of methodological and technical expertise to others and apply knowledge/ skills to a range of activities with an ability to explain clearly and concisely technical information